Thursday 6 December 2012

How Windows 8 Pushed Me to Turn To OS X


Windows 8 Six Weeks On

Windows 8 was a promising prospect, that is no lie. However the results that entailed were somewhat disappointing and mediocre at best. That is being generous.

Why?

Windows 8 has completely screwed up my Sony Vaio laptop, I checked out all the system requirements and ran upgrade advisor just to check it was all in order and everything was fine. my AMD gaming Phenom processor and 6GB of RAM was not match for it, I couldn't have been more wrong. Ever since it has had no end of trouble such as missing drivers and corrupt drivers. For starters I can't print to any printers and I tried a selection of different drivers, wired and wireless and no luck, then the screen started shorting out because the graphics driver was suffering crashes and hangs which could only be remedied by a restart.

Don't Upgrade

If you are certain you want W8 then do a clean install and pay the extra cash as the in place upgrade has completely screwed my laptop. None of my Libraries IE pictures, videos, music, documents etc are accessible even though I am supposed to have full admin rights I get an error message saying "this is no longer a valid file directory" if this doesn't make life worse the whole machine is just slow and laggy and having to actually open up the desktop from the admittedly cool looking start menu soon loses its novelty. By soon I mean within a few hours.

Why Mac?

I was browsing ebay just after payday and saw a late 2010 macbook going for just under £450.....4gb Ram and 2.4GHz processor, was compatible with mountain lion (the latest version of OS X) and was barely used. You only live once so, Windows has released another Vista so I thought yeah this could last me a couple of years until Microsoft sort it out so why not? I got it yesterday. Best thing I could have done. I spent around £70 on upgrades (8GB RAM and a 1TB HD plus the £13.99 mac app store upgrade for Mountain Lion) This is running a dream. I could not be happier. The 8GB of RAM was a stroke of genius as well keeps everything running perfectly especially when i'm running large HTML docs in Dreamweaver CS6.

Am I Happy With My Decision?

Yes damn right I am, Don't get me wrong I am still looking forward to what Microsoft will bring out in 2015 and I am by no means now some creepy Apple Fan Troll but I am however more open to the prospect of using OS X and iOS. I'm a neutral party in all this.....Kind of like Switzerland. Would I advise it? OS X can be a bit of  a learning curve for a long term PC user but I would say if you can cough up the cash then go for it? If not then don't expect a macbook or Ultrabook equivalent because if you are you're living in dreamland.

No comments:

Post a Comment